Re: Experimental or unstable.

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:03:37PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:44:38PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Marc Haber [Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:40:45 +0100]:
> > > Experience with adduser shows that no-one besides the maintainers
> > > themselves and their closest environment uses experimental packages.
> >   More evidence:
> >     http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2005/09/30#experimental-useless
>
> See this worries me a bit.
>
> I'd love for Debian users to test some more cutting edge versions of
> packages (partly so upstream gets more testers, partly so I can see the
> bits I hate about the new versions and try to get them fixed) but I
> don't want them in testing now until they are properly released as a
> stable series.  In fact, I don't really want them in unstable if it
> means that in order to fix bugs which appear in testing I have to revert
> to the stable set of packages in order to get them in.

How Debian users can know there is a new version in experimental?
There are some messages in debian-devel, or blogs on planet, but not all
users or developers are reading them.

Is there a command that can display the list of packages I'm using with a
version on experimental higher than the current version on unstable?

(I'm willing to test some experimental packages, but on a case by case
basis, not by pinning up experimental)

Best Regards,
--
Nekral