Re: Debian for desktop - gnome in usnstable/experimantal more stable than in testing ?

Hello,

> > So please disregard my statement against "testing"

[..]
> (In this case, xterm could have had a conflict with your package to
> avoid screwing users over unnoticed; and we could (in future) have added
> a note to the testing scripts to not allow upgrades of xterm until a
> fixed version of packagesearch is also included)
It turned out that what I thought to be a deliberate change of how
arguments are handled in xterm was actually considered to be a bug, and
reported to the BTS [1]. Though xterm made the migration to testing,
because the bug was only of severity normal. So it is nothing wrong with
the testing mechanism, but more likely a wrongly set severity of the
bug.
But here is what I started with: the features in packagesearch relying
on xterm were broken in testing once the version entered it. I was able
to work around this bug in unstable as soon as I realized it, but the
migration of the fixed package to testing was delayed due to the QT
library transition.
The point is humans are making errors (wrongly specified dependencies,
wrong bug priorities,...) and therefore things might break in testing
and the fixes usually take some time to propagate from unstable.
But as I am lacking first hand experience from using testing I don't
know how often it happens in testing, and if this makes testing worse
than unstable -- that's also why I withdraw my statement against using
testing.

Best regards

Ben

Please do not send any email to ben-ml@gmx.net -- all email not