Re: Debian for desktop - gnome in usnstable/experimantal more stable than in testing ?

Hello,

First of all, I would like to note that I have never experienced anything like that with my Debian desktop. The only time I have witnessed such devastating effects was when mixing packages from various distributions. Yes, that was my own fault. I knew it could happen and it did happen.

Secondly, you do not seem to understand how Debian works. "Unstable" is called "Unstable" for a reason. It is the first stage of public testing. Renaming it to "Latest" would not only falsely describe what it is, but would simply be not true. If you want the latest, you download and compile it yourself. If you want to test software for future Debian releases, you use "Unstable".

And guess what, stable core in Ubuntu comes from Debian. Debian Unstable that is. Yes, you read that correctly. It is not Debian that does too little testing, but Ubuntu who let you believe that what you get is a stable well tested OS. Stable and very up-to-date is utopia.

I agree that Debian is not perfect, and there are many things to be improved. It is also true that Debian is growing and becoming harder to maintain, but this is because people like Debian and want it to grow. This, however, does not imply that Debian release cycle will become longer or that less testing will be done.

Please do not take my comment as hostile. What I was trying to say is that Debian is being improved as I type this text. Debian is not a company. It a group of people who use and love Debian. Would you let things you love to break?

Regards,
Linas