Re: fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

"Thijs Kinkhorst" <kink@squirrelmail.org> writes:
> On Tue, August 2, 2005 10:28, Andreas Barth wrote:
>> And, BTW, is it not our problem to have too few AMs
> While I can agree that there are too few AMs, the whole process itself
> seems pretty bureaucratic with room for improvement. Once you've completed
> the AM stage, this still has to happen:
> - AM checks application.
> - Front Desk checks application.
> - DAM checks application.
> - DAM creates account.
>
> (Source: nm.debian.org)
>
> So, once the AM, who has done a thorough review of the candidate, then you
> still need to pass three steps. Why? Once you've reached the AM-approved
> stage, you've already got:
> - a good review by an existing developer (advocate)

It would be nice if all advocates would actually check that the
applicant is apt to become a developer: The high number of rejections
(by the AM) shows that this doesn't work.

> - an assurance from a person very experienced with Debian and with
> handling new developers

Right, because all AMs are very experienced with new developers, as they
have all processed like 20 applicants or so in 4 months.

> Well, I could understand that it's desired to have one last check by a
> third person at the end of the whole process. But why do the FD and DAM
> have to check separately?

Because the FD checks that the report is formally OK (and also gives a
bit of feedback to the AM and applicant), while the DAM checks from a
"Do we want to give a security hole to this applicant" point of view.

> And why is approval by DAM not equal to account creation? It seems to me
> that the account creation step could be fully automated: checking the box
> "approved by DAM" could trigger an insert into the LDAP database thereby
> creating the account.

(1) Account creation needs a bit more than that, as the applicant's key
    needs to be added to the keyring
(2) WTF? You want to give LDAP write access to a PHP script?

Marc
--
BOFH #149:
Dew on the telephone lines.