Re: Question about kill(1)

I demand that Brian May may or may not have written...

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>> Try ctrl/atl/shift + print/scroll/pause combinations on the console. Or
>> alt+sysrq+h if thats enabled in your kernel. You get a process listing
>> with one of the first and the second can do a lot more.

> Thanks for reminding me, I need to remember these keystrokes.

> How does it work? On my system, I push shift+ctrl+alt with my 1st hand, any
> two of print/scroll/pause with my 2nd hand. At this stage, I get a user
> friendly manual with "showTasks" as one my options.

I'd call it "terse". ;-)

> With my third hand I push the T button, and get what looks like a complete
> stack trace that overflows the dmesg buffer, let alone the screen.

Increase the buffer size and rebuild your kernel. ;-)

> Oh wait, I can't do that, I just remembered I only have two hands...

Where's Mr Beeblebrox when you need him...

Press Alt or AltGr, press SysRq (or Print or Stop or F13...), optionally
release Alt (but definitely keep the other key pressed), press whichever key
corresponds to what you want to do.

(Details may vary according to architecture and/or keyboard. See
linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt (kernel source) for more details.)

> Maybe this has changed in the 2.6 kernels.

It's still the same.

> I don't think it will work from X-Windows when the system is too
> bogged down to switch to a text console though...

You want Alt-SysRq-R (after which you should be able to switch to a text VT)
or a serial or network console.

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| sarge,        | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk          Say NO to UK ID cards
|                                                       http://www.no2id.net/

Your work is very poor, but at least it's slow.