Re: Question about kill(1)

* Bob Proulx [Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:24:07 -0600]:

> > * why the different implementations?

> It is there for BSD job control functionality.  That way you can say
> 'kill %1' and kill the background jobs by job control number.  The
> standalone version does not know about the shell's list of jobs.

  I also have heard (but I'm not sure how often does this happen, if at
  all) that it is usefult to have it as a built-in when your system is
  in a state when it can't create more processes.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
                -- F. Nietzsche