Re: Question about kill(1)

    Goswin> Try ctrl/atl/shift + print/scroll/pause combinations on
    Goswin> the console. Or alt+sysrq+h if thats enabled in your
    Goswin> kernel. You get a process listing with one of the first
    Goswin> and the second can do a lot more.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to remember these keystrokes.

How does it work? On my system, I push shift+ctrl+alt with my 1st
hand, any two of print/scroll/pause with my 2nd hand. At this stage, I
get a user friendly manual with "showTasks" as one my options. With my
third hand I push the T button, and get what looks like a complete
stack trace that overflows the dmesg buffer, let alone the screen. Oh
wait, I can't do that, I just remembered I only have two hands...

Maybe this has changed in the 2.6 kernels.

I don't think it will work from X-Windows when the system is too
bogged down to switch to a text console though...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>