Re: debian sarge is 3.2 or 4 ?

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> Their fault for releasing a book about unreleased software which is
> bound to be outdated the day that sarge will actually release.

Uh-uh and when will that day be?  And don't give me any of that "when it
is ready" nonsense.  The release version number was ready a long time ago.
The problem isn't a concern for quality, it is people like you and Andrea
who don't follow process, who don't contribute when the actual decisions
are being made, but who come out of the woodwork at the last minute with
dumb attempts at tinkering.  That's why Debian has found it so hard to
release.

A book is just a minor example.  Do you think the CTO of a Debian-using
enterprise will just be reading slashdot at breakfast one day, see "oh
sarge has released" and do a dist-upgrade when he comes into the office?
People plan weeks if not months in advance for this sort of thing.  If
Debian is to be so unreliable, we cannot give even basic assurances about
our next release, we have doomed ourselves for _any_ kind of serious use.

Luckily I don't think most of our fellow DDs are as lackadaisical as you
are making yourself out to be.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>