Re: Ubuntu and its "appropriation" of Debian maintainers

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:34:09PM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:

> I just search Google for me and I found this,
>
> https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/people/adamm/
>
> Now, I never signed up to be a maintainer for Ubuntu. I don't understand
> why I am part of "people of Ubuntu" or why I am listed as a maintainer
> of any package on Ubuntu's website? I know Ubuntu is using my packages
> as part of their distribution. I have no problem with that. What I do
> have a problem is the use of my name and my resources (time) in
> association with Ubuntu *without* my permission.

I've forwarded your comments to the folks who work on the Launchpad
application (debian-devel is not a very reliable way to reach them).

> Then I also found,
> http://ubuntu.linux-server.org/mysql-query-browser/mysql-query-browser_1.1.4-1ubuntu2.dsc
>
> adamm@mira:/tmp$ gpg --verify mysql-query-browser_1.1.4-1ubuntu2.dsc
> gpg: Signature made Tue 19 Apr 2005 10:06:56 AM CDT using DSA key ID
> C098EFA8
> gpg: please do a --check-trustdb
> gpg: Good signature from "sh@linux-server.org <sh@linux-server.org>"
> gpg:                 aka "shermann <sh@sourcecode.de>"
> gpg:                 aka "Stephan Hermann <sh@sourcecode.de>"

Neither this package, nor the site where you found it, is related to the
Ubuntu project in any official capacity.  Someone presumably downloaded the
source package from one of our mirrors, modified it (naively, without
considering that Ubuntu might release a version 1.1.4-1ubuntu2) and
published it on their website.  I don't know Stephan Hermann, but you could
contact him about your concerns.

> I don't understand how I could remain as the maintainer of such a package.
> It is my belief that if the source code is changed, then the Maintainer
> field should be changed as well.

The question of whether modified source should have the Maintainer field
changed is a reasonable subject for discussion, but in your particular case,
both of the source packages listed at
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/people/adamm/+packages are identical to those
in Debian.

> Anyway, the bottom line is,
>     1. I'm a Debian Developer and chose to be associated with Debian
>     2. I have not chosen or gave permission to be associated with
> modified/unmodified packages of other distributions (that may or may not
> derive from Debian).

In my opinion, it does not make much sense to require Debian derivatives to
modify every source package that they share with Debian, only to change the
maintainer field.  There is some justification for changing it if the
package has been modified, but this, too is problematic ("<derivative> is
taking credit for my work!").

> PS. This is not a troll against Ubuntu.

In that case, can I ask why you addressed your concerns to debian-devel,
rather than to the parties responsible for the web pages you found
objectionable?

The result (which may or may not have been the intent) seems to have been to
stir up emotion among Debian developers, rather than to have the Launchpad
website changed.

--
 - mdz