Re: Ubuntu and its "appropriation" of Debian maintainers

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 22:38 +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Hi Matt!
>
> On Sun, 01 May 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:36:57PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I don't think that the packages.*-code is part of the problem.
> > > Ubuntu treats the Debian maintainers at many places as "their"
> > > maintainers, e.g. at apt-cache show $package. The packages.*-code just
> > > displays that wrong information.
> >
> > [Note that this is an entirely different matter from the one mentioned in the
> > original post]
> >
> > Every Debian derivative I have seen does this the same way.  There is some
> > inaccuracy in either case, but I think this is the lesser of the evils:
> >
> > - Changing the maintainer field
> >   - "<foo> is taking credit for my work!"
> >   - Requires modification of every source package, even if it is otherwise
> >     identical
> If they change anything - this includes branding stuff too - the should
> change the maintainer field. If the package is identical to the debian one
> it could stay as it is.

Unfortunately this isn't easy to check; I'm listed as the python-gst
maintainer, and I doubt anything in my package has been changed, but I'm
also pretty sure it's compiled against Ubuntu's Python version rather
than Debian's (and since it uses dh_python, nothing in the package is
changed for it to do that).

I'd be happy if it just said "Foo Bar is the Debian maintainer for this
package; there is no Ubuntu maintainer. Foo Bar may not be able to help
you if you are having problems." or something similar. Right now it
indicates that we're Ubuntu maintainers, and that's just wrong.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>