Re: lintian & linda (was: Automatic testing of Debian packages)

Hallo Emanuele,

* Emanuele Rocca <ema@debian.org> [2005-04-10 19:21]:
> * [ 08-04-05 - 15:38 ] Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de> wrote:
> >  There is another thing that I don't understand often. Why
> >  are there linda and lintian?
> >  In my opinion this makes things difficulter. Both have to
> >  coordinate themselves and keep their policy rules up to
> >  date.
> [...]
> >  The only difference I can see is that they are programmed in
> >  different programming languages and minor things.
>
> Yep, it seems that the main difference is the programming language [0].
>
> Peter Makholm asked [1] to add a note in Linda's description that points
> out the difference between the two checkers, but the only reference to
> Lintian seems to be 'much like lintian'. :)
>
> The main reason for the existence of Linda seems to be that at the time
> the author wrote it, Lintian was unmanintained. [2]

Ok thats a reason. But why not merge these projects now? I
really recommend this because in my opinion this are two
projects which do the same job twice which is in my eyes
contraproductive.
Same thing for dput and dupload.

> >  In my opinion it is not productive to have two tools for
> >  internal debian use which provides pretty much the same
> >  things.
>
> I agree.
> Otherwise, if the two tools have got different features, these should be
> noted in the respective descriptions.

But why have they? I mean they are both tools for internal
debian use.
Regards Nico
--
Nico Golde - 310777820@ICQ | GPG: 1024D/73647CFF