Re: acenic firmware rewrite

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 07:26:09PM +0200, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> Sure. That's ok. I was more thinking of someone reading the existing
> firmware sources, writing a spec and a second person/group implementing
> the new free firmware based on the spec. AFAICS the implementors and the
> spec writers should be different people/groups. Or do you think it would
> be ok if the same people read the existing non-free sources and reimplement
> its functionality in a new free firmware ?

It can be done by the same people, but you have to keep good
documentation. You should be able to show, after the fact, that the
new firmware was written using only the spec - which means you still
need to write that spec. By preference, structure the code in a
radically different manner.

With two groups, this can be easily accomplished by logging all
communication between them.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |