Re: lintian & linda (was: Automatic testing of Debian packages)

* [ 08-04-05 - 15:38 ] Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de> wrote:
>  There is another thing that I don't understand often. Why
>  are there linda and lintian?
>  In my opinion this makes things difficulter. Both have to
>  coordinate themselves and keep their policy rules up to
>  date.
[...]
>  The only difference I can see is that they are programmed in
>  different programming languages and minor things.

Yep, it seems that the main difference is the programming language [0].

Peter Makholm asked [1] to add a note in Linda's description that points
out the difference between the two checkers, but the only reference to
Lintian seems to be 'much like lintian'. :)

The main reason for the existence of Linda seems to be that at the time
the author wrote it, Lintian was unmanintained. [2]

>  In my opinion it is not productive to have two tools for
>  internal debian use which provides pretty much the same
>  things.

I agree.
Otherwise, if the two tools have got different features, these should be
noted in the respective descriptions.

ciao,
	ema

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/07/msg00045.html