Re: acenic firmware rewrite

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:13:57PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:11:38 +0200, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Reading http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/12/msg00078.html I
> > wondered if people would be willing to work on a free firmware for the
> > Tigon II chip.  I didn't look at the existing code yet, but looking at the
> > datasheet
> > (http://alteon.shareable.org/firmware-source/12.4.13/tigonbk.pdf.bz2) it
> > doesn't seem to be a very complicated chip to code for. I'm not sure
> > however, how to handle the development in such a way the resulting
> > firmware can be released under a free license without any legal risks. I
> > have 2 PCI boards with the Tigon II chip and a 1000BaseSX PHY. I also have
> > an Ace Director III loadbalancer which consist of 10 Tigon II chips. 8 of
> > those are used for 100BaseT interfaces, 1 has a 1000BaseSX PHY and the
> > 10th is used as a system controller.
> >

> I can't imagine there would be any issues if you released both the source
> and binary, and licensed them under the GPL.  The firmware source and
> binary can both be distributed in the kernel (with the binary actually in
> the driver source code).

Sure. That's ok. I was more thinking of someone reading the existing
firmware sources, writing a spec and a second person/group implementing
the new free firmware based on the spec. AFAICS the implementors and the
spec writers should be different people/groups. Or do you think it would
be ok if the same people read the existing non-free sources and reimplement
its functionality in a new free firmware ?

Thanks,

Peter (p2).