acenic firmware rewrite

Hi,

Reading http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/12/msg00078.html I
wondered if people would be willing to work on a free firmware for
the Tigon II chip.  I didn't look at the existing code yet, but looking
at the datasheet
(http://alteon.shareable.org/firmware-source/12.4.13/tigonbk.pdf.bz2) it
doesn't seem to be a very complicated chip to code for. I'm not sure
however, how to handle the development in such a way the resulting
firmware can be released under a free license without any legal risks.
I have 2 PCI boards with the Tigon II chip and a 1000BaseSX PHY. I also
have an Ace Director III loadbalancer which consist of 10 Tigon II
chips. 8 of those are used for 100BaseT interfaces, 1 has a 1000BaseSX
PHY and the 10th is used as a system controller.

Comments or ideas welcome.

Cheers,

Peter (p2).