Re: Thoughts about changing Debian's release process

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 05:15:34PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> > > I think that last phrase is the major problem...
> >
> > Yep, likewise. I still think having each part of our infrastructure as a
> > package would be a good solution but I can't currently volunteer for
> > that.
> >

> Yeah, I'm thinking this is a more feasible approach than FAI now that I put
> a bit of thought into it. Any given Debian box does a whole bunch of things,
> and you want to be able to take (using the example) packages.d.o and move
> it, so if all the infrastructure for packages.d.o was in a package, you'd be
> laughing. You could then reshuffle services between boxes very easily.

... which I do at my department using fai-update-system ;)
packaging configuration files is not really a good idea: it is too hard to
change them.
take a setup with FAI and cvs stored configuration files, and you can change
your config easily, are motivated to document the purpose of your changes and
push them easily to your clients...
ATM I am using pserver for the clients' read-only cvs access, because I
consider my net trusted. but using cvs over ssh should work too.

the main problem is: for the initial installation, you need a way to transfer
an ssh key for config space access; maybe fai-bootcd would be a solution for
this: it puts the whole installer root on a cd, so you don't even need a way
for safely doing nfs...
--
c u
henning