Re: Thoughts about changing Debian's release process

Andreas Tille wrote:
> >My point: We need the possibility to recreate the current Debian
> >infrastructure for proposing changes to the current situation.
> Not only this, we need the possibility to setup an alternate machine quickly
> in case of hardware problems.  And we even have the solution inside Debian:
>
>       FAI
>
> Why not setting up important machines with FAI?

Because that's not the solution.

Installing a machine with Debian is not the problem.

Installing and/or recreating the services on them is.
This requires manual work, either during the recreation
phase or during the development.

I've finished the second deployment of packages.debian.org today,
and even though we've improved the code and infrastructure a lot
during the last deployment (it was a rewrite) it still took a while
to get all bits sorted out properly.  The next move will be a lot
faster, but I am not keen on moving it *again*.

Also FAI doesn't work on 11 architectures.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect.