Re: Thoughts about changing Debian's release process

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:30:26AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> FAI can be a total disaster recovery solution when you couple it with your
> backups, however I will freely admit that it takes a lot of time (and
> testing) to get it such that you can punch out an identical box,
> sausage-machine style. Then of course you need to keep it up to date as
> well.

I think that last phrase is the major problem...

I can see how FAI is great if you need to punch out a huge load of
identical machines; but to update the scripts after installation such
that they would produce identical machines to the ones already running,
would a) require a testing environment which we do not have (or cannot
provide), and b) would take a lot of time that, I think, the admins do
not have.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks