Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

Scripsit Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 04:57:09PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> Scripsit Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

>> > I've suggested before that creating a separate section for firmware may
>> > be the best solution.

>> You have not described how that would differ from using 'non-free'.

> One example: with our current package management tools once you've got
> an apt source in your configuration the packages it provides will start
> to show up in things like searches.

It is possible to edit sources.list *after* having defined the
packages one needs. Also, there is no need to have the entire non-free
archive in one's sources.list at any time at all if one uses an
installer image that contains the necessary drivers itself.

> Given things like that it seems useful to let people install images
> to support their hardware but still exclude any non-free software
> that would run on the host computer.

On the other hand, I am not opposed to splitting non-free archive in
several subarchives in order to ease selections for those who want
only certain kinds of nonfreedom.

Only this probably needs some ftpmastery labor, which it is relevant
to suppose the proponents of the idea supply.

I *am*, however, opposed to including non-free firmware in main
because somebody feels that the non-free archive is not split
sufficiently finegrained yet.

--
Henning Makholm        "Jeg køber intet af Sulla, og selv om uordenen griber
                    planmæssigt om sig, så er vi endnu ikke nået dertil hvor