Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:19:32AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>

> > One example: with our current package management tools once you've got
> > an apt source in your configuration the packages it provides will start
> > to show up in things like searches.

> It is possible to edit sources.list *after* having defined the
> packages one needs.

That's not a static choice, though.

>                     Also, there is no need to have the entire non-free
> archive in one's sources.list at any time at all if one uses an
> installer image that contains the necessary drivers itself.

Given that one of the reasons hardware vendors use downloads is to make
it easier for them to provide bug fixes it would be desirable to have
the ability to track new firmware packages.

> I *am*, however, opposed to including non-free firmware in main
> because somebody feels that the non-free archive is not split
> sufficiently finegrained yet.

There's slightly more to it than splitting out the firmware section from
non-free - things like how to handle it in the installer, for example.
We used to ask if people wanted non-free during installation but don't
do that any more.  Some similar things may be desirable should a
firmware section be created.