Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> The choice is not between free firmware and non-free firmware. The
> choice is between firmware on disk and firmware on chip. That's the
> reality of the situation. I'd prefer us to adopt policies based on what
> currently exists, rather than on what may exist at some point in the
> future.

Actually, we don't have any power over *either* of those
alternatives.  Our policies won't change which firmware is on disk and
which is on chip any more than they will cause hardware manufacturers
to start caring about free software.

So, I suggest we distribute the firmware if we are allowed to, and we
label it "non-free".