Re: Always run dpkg --dry-run -i before running dpkg -i!

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 19:09 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:55:47PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > (c) Download and install it for you.
>
> You're right, but there's still one problem:
> It breaks first and *then* fixes it.
> By the time it's broken, your old network card no longer
> works and you can't connect to an apt repository to fix it.
>
> Doesn't this put network card source packages in a
> special category?  I mentioned this in my bug report.
>
> m-a should see if it's going to break before it breaks
>
> Now you're going to say: "keep around old packages in
> case it breaks, what are you stupid?  it's the kernel!
> keep backups"
>
> and I'll say: you knew before-hand it was going to
> break, why'd you break it?
>
> The temporary apt-repository is the only reliable
> solution.  m-a is solving a problem I don't have.

Fine then, don't use it. It'll pull the deps before it install the
modules and unloads them and re-loads them.

If you want to keep shooting self in foot please do so quietly.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux