Re: dependencies on makedev

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:40:37AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Indeed. Editing plain text configuration files has never been the Unix
> > way, and vi certainly isn't a standard unix tool.
> No, I'm saying why are people attempting to replace what already works with
> something new and obfusicated?

Because dynamic device nodes have lots of benefits. (Less clutter,
better support of dynamic devices, better device names, better API for
writing drivers) In short, hardcoded /dev nodes don't "already work".

Though I have to say, that was a pretty amusing remark coming from one
of the upstream authors of "shoop".

Cheers,
aj