Re: dependencies on makedev

On Dec 29, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:

> > Because /eventually/ it will not be needed anymore (at least by most
> > users, which then will be able to remove it from their systems).
> Is there something to replace it, completely, in *all* situations?
udev, at least for the general case of users using devices in /dev,
fully replaces MAKEDEV.

The only exceptions I can think about are broken drivers which have not
been ported to the device model (but I could not name any) and people
who create device nodes out of /dev for weird reasons (usually because
they need multiple copies of the same device with different owners).

--
ciao,
Marco