Re: dependencies on makedev

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Dec 29, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > Because /eventually/ it will not be needed anymore (at least by most
> > > users, which then will be able to remove it from their systems).
> > Is there something to replace it, completely, in *all* situations?
> udev, at least for the general case of users using devices in /dev,
> fully replaces MAKEDEV.
>
> The only exceptions I can think about are broken drivers which have not
> been ported to the device model (but I could not name any) and people
> who create device nodes out of /dev for weird reasons (usually because
> they need multiple copies of the same device with different owners).

Ok, pardon the noob questions, but here they come:

How does persistance of the permission model work?  Can I do chown/chmod on
the dynamic files in /dev, and have them remain the next time?  Even if a
device node changes it's name?  Or do I have to edit some alternative
database?

I've been running 2.6 for a while now.  Lots of our servers do(all our xen
machines).  We've had no use for any dynamic device anything; in fact, I'd
much prefer to not have anything dynamic on a server; stable names is all I
want(which means the kernel renaming scsi devices is broken, but C'est La
Vie).