Re: Thoughts on Debian quality, including automated testing

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:10:03PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:

> It turns out that there is no need for them to be hurt at all.  Lone
> can carry on working as before and find a co-maintainer who won't get
> in his way.  But when Lone falls off his horse he'll be glad that Tonto
> is nearby.

> You are saying that requiring people to find co-maintainers is
> "bureaucracy"?

It seems to me that if you're talking about a lip service approach like
the above being OK then the focus isn't really on solving the problem
any more, it's on having people jump through a given set of hoops.  This
doesn't really achieve the end result you're looking for.

>                 Someone I know well recently got co-maintainers for
> three of his packages by posting a single message to debian-devel.
> That's less of a burden than that imposed by many another Debian rule.

Conversely, the reason I ended up maintaining the NIS package is that
I'm the only person who stepped up and actually did anything when the
previous maintainer asked for help.