Re: congratulations to our ftp-master team

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:56:30PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> writes:
>
> > I'd like to congratulate our ftp-master team on their ability to timely
> > process packages progressing through the NEW queue.
> >
> > <http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html> [1]
> >
> > I think you are an excellent example of people who are too busy for Debian.
> >
> > I must say that I am particularly impressed that you've managed to
> > frustrate our users for over 1 year with the package 'xvidcap'.
>
> Guessing by the name alone I would say this is a patent issue like
> mplayer and therefore a problem package that is not likely to get
> resolved anytime soon.
>
> But that is just a guess.

And it is an incorrect guess. xvidcap itself uses libraries already in
Debian. But thanks for playing "guess the mind of the ftp-masters".

Was it fun?

> For non problem cases the NEW queue was never as fast as now so
> congratulation of improving the NEW queue so much already. Giving your
> past month performance I'm sure the few remaining issues can be
> resolved in time as well. Ignoring anything 2 weeks or newer I count
> only 7 packages. This is great.

Maybe you are a fan of being left in limbo, or like the perverbial
Schrödinger's cat, but even a bad process can benefit from assurances.

A simple assurance that your package will be rejected from the NEW queue
if no ftp-master approves it within 2 weeks would actually be a benefit.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are