Re: /run vs /var/run (was: Please test new sysvinit)

[Steve Langasek]
> Given the reality of /lib, is there any need for a separate /usr/lib?
>
> The principle is the same: /lib is used only for the minimal system
> required for booting, and everything else should go in /usr/lib.
> /run should be used only for junk that needs to be stored early in
> the boot sequence, and everything else should go in /var/run.

/var/run is *tiny*.  In fact on my system it's close to 4 orders of
magnitude smaller than /usr/lib.  I know why /usr isn't assumed to be
on the root filesystem, and it's not at all related to why a /run ramfs
that has to exist anyway might be inappropriate for /var/run.