/run vs /var/run (was: Please test new sysvinit)

[Thomas Hood]
> After installation you should have a tmpfs mounted on /run.  This has
> been created for the use of that handful of packages that need a
> place to store run time state files independently of networking.

Given the need, and now the reality, of /run, is there any need for a
separate /var/run?  I vote we migrate to /var/run -> /run, at least in
the default install.  Whether packages should continue to refer to
/var/run is a matter of FHS touchy feely, and perhaps compatibility
with other FHS distributions is more important than the ability to
eliminate the /var/run symlink in the long run.