Re: Debian and the desktop

Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

What are you talking about Debian Style?

Color scheme, artwork (default wallpaper, login screen, even CD covers). All those little things that would make a user say "Yep, that's Debian".

The desktop-base package was supposed to address exactly that problem,
but there was not a lot of interest in the KDE and GNOME teams to
actually work on that.

Maybe they simply need someone to provide them with the artwork? Would accepting an official default wallpaper (also GDM and KDM themes) be a problem? I am sure there are a lot of people out there (including myself) that would gladly do the dirty (art)work.

I think we have managed to create some feeling on the GNOME front,
though, with a default desktop and customized splash screen. GDM lacks
integration, though.

The artwork used in GNOME is probably too dark. On an old dark monitor the details are almost invisible. Just a bit of my personal experience.

Every major distribution has that little something (be it only a default wallpaper) that makes it what it is (navy blue Mandriva, brownish Ubuntu), so if desktop is the goal for Debian, it should also have that.

That'd be something, but there's much more that we should think about.
This is just the top of the iceberg.

That is the whole point. People that are already busy with some other work should not be bothered about something that can be done independently.