Re: Announcement: Common Power-Management Framework

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >   1. power management is system infrastructure.  I can explain WHY it
> >      is so, but I don't think many people would argue that power
> >      management is an user-level service.
>
> Whether a laptop suspends when you close the lid is a per-user
> preference. The length of time before an idle system suspends is a
> per-user preference.

It affects more than just the user. It affects the entire system.  Power
management is a system service.  And it should be able to do a whole lot
more than just wait for you to close the lid to deserve the "power
management system" name, IMHO...

Nobody said the user can't give his input on how the service will behave.
That's what the GUI is for, and what configuration files are for.

  Henrique Holschuh