Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Hi Jörg!

On Mit, 30 Nov 2005, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> >> When did I ask you to make one single binary package?
> > Even if I take five packages each of it will be bigger than anything
> > else in Debian and completely unable to be handled.
>
> Stuff like OOo for example isnt small either.

I didn't want to imply that there are no big packages, but Ooo has
biggest component ooo-core with around 30Mb, while from the texlive
packages we have one with around 85M, and several (9) in the aera of
10-50M.

BUT: I don't imply that this is a quality criterium, not the least.

I only want to give evidence that splitting texlive into several
packages is necessary, in contrast to what Josselin
proposed/suggested.

> > There is a lot of duplication in Debian, and up to now nobody has
> > complaint.
>
> Hey, im often enough bitching at people uploading the X version of
> $similar thing. There is also "Multiple versions" at
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html.

I am well aware of this faq. That's the reason why I try to single out
as much packages as possible, especially the big ones (cm-super: 60M,
lmodern: waiting for a maintainer, I have already created test packages
for the prospective maintainer, cjk waiting, musixtex in discussion,
etc) to get rid of duplicates.

Furthermore we (debian tetex maint and I) are working on making the
packages of tetex and texlive playing well together, i.e. that tetex
users can install texlive packages. But this is for later on, as it
requires some reworking of the TeX Policy, tex-common and some packages.

Best wishes

Norbert

POONA (n.)
Satisfied grunting noise made when sitting back after a good meal.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff