Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Hi Josselin!

On Die, 29 Nov 2005, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > There is no way that we can make one binary package for close to 1Gb of
> > software.
>
> When did I ask you to make one single binary package?

Even if I take five packages each of it will be bigger than anything
else in Debian and completely unable to be handled.

> > The granularity delivered by texlive is generally considered an
> > advantage, but for those in search for a smaller solution with only few
> > packages, there is tetex.
>
> And there's a duplication of most TeX components. I hope there is some
> plan to merge those packages some day in the future.

There is a lot of duplication in Debian, and up to now nobody has
complaint. We are working on taking out and packagin *big* stuff (like
font packages: lmodern, cm-super) so that they can be used with both
teTeX and TeX live. The work on TeX live for Debian has actually led to
this and an improved TeX Policy.

> > > I know you're going to tell me there will be metapackages, and that I
> >
> > No, there won't be. There is already texlive-latex-recommended and/or
> > texlive-latex-base. If you apt-get/aptitude install this, you have a
> > working system.
>
> Aren't these metapackages?

No! Why do you believe this.

> Anyway, you haven't even read what I've written. *sigh*

I did *read* very well what you wrote. Please take a look at the
packages before complaining: YOu wrote:

> I know you're going to tell me there will be metapackages, and that I
> should just use them.

and I answered:

> No, there won't be.

I think this is clear communication. And if you cannot take the time for
taking a look wether texlive-latex-recommended is a metapackage or not,
well.

> How can users know which package to install to get a working TeX system?

Yes, a TeX system is *not* for the faint of heart! It is more complex
and definitely bigger than anything in Debian. You cannot expect that a
complete novice becomes a TeXnician by using the Debian packages. We
take from the users the burden to care for formats, font maps and
various other things. But flexibility has to be paid by complexity.
That's live.

What do you propose? 5 bin packages, 10? Where is the limit? And if you
go below 5, the packages will *never* be accepted for the sole reason
that they are toooo big.

> texlive-latex-base or texlive-foobar-stuff ? Worse, how can he know what
> Debian package to install when a .sty is missing? Will it be in

This has been the same since many many years: How does one know that if
you want to install pshan.sty you have to install the cjk package in
Debian? And this does not happen only with TeX files, I often enough
have to search packages.debian.org for a specific file.

Best wishes

Norbert

There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
Why do they spend so much of the
intervening time wearing digital watches?'
                 --- The Book.