Re: State of gcc 2.95 use in Debian unstable

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 04:12:45PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > The situation is: gcc-2.95 is no longer needed to compile debian packages,
> > but it is still needed for other tasks, by many people.
> By whom, and for what? So far I haven't heard a specific project's
> name.

Debian does not exist for the benefit of its developers, it exists for
the benefit of its users. I doubt that many Debian *users* read
debian-devel so they aren't going to be responding to messages in this

I am quite sure that there are Debian *users* out there that have legacy
code that only builds under gcc 2.95 (or more likely g++ 2.95) and they
haven't ported it to a newer C compiler because there is no business
case for it.

Removing a package simply because the Debian developers don't need it
any more is the kind of arrogance that drives users away from Debian to
other distributions.

Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA
dave@rudedog.org | http://www.rudedog.org/