Re: Testing-watch emails

Scripsit "Adam D. Barratt" <highvol-debian-devel@adam-barratt.org.uk>
> On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 00:17 +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

[Context for debian-dak readers who are not following the thread in
-devel: I am trying to get up to speed on how to contribute some code
to ftp-master that mails out testing migration notices.]

>>  1) The copy of britney in merkel:/org/ftp.debian.org/ does not seem
>>     to be synced regularly. Is there a place where one can see the
>>     current code?

> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_out_code/ is the "official"
> current code, afaik.

I didn't know that URL; thanks.

Unfortunately it not exactly what I looked for; it corresponds to
merkel:/org/ftp.debian.org/testing/update_out/*, whereas I think that
the place I need to hook in is the shell script
merkel:/org/ftp.debian.org/testing/britney in the parent directory.

The sarge-is-frozen announcement [1] seemed to imply that these things
were all under version control, but I may read that wrongly. Upon
further investigation it looks like the freezing would actually be
effeceted by adding a hint rather than commiting a change to the code.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/05/msg00001.html

>>  2) Any advice on how to test patches to ftp-master code before
>>     submitting them? My own scripts I can dry-run by substituting a
>>     dummy command for sendmail and run them in the very place where
>>     they will eventually function. In contrast, construcing a test
>>     mock-up of the ftp-master environment to do test runs of a patched
>>     britney appears to be highly nontrivial.  Does some automation for
>>     this purpose exist? Or what do ftpmaster/release gurus do when you
>>     change code?

>>  3) Do you (or somebody in QA who reads this) happen to know how the
>>     'keyword' under which the PTS forwards emails is transmitted? I
>>     cannot find any code in katie that sets this. Does the PTS analyse
>>     subject lines for fixed patterns?

> http://cvs.debian.org/pts/?cvsroot=qa is useful here.

Thanks. Now I can se what happens. It does indeed use ad-hoc analysis
of subject lines.

> *_upload@packages.qa.d.o is subscribed to -devel-changes and processes
> the mails in real-time.

Not quite, afaict; katie sends email directly to
<packagename>@p.qa.d.o (config setting Dinstall::TrackingServer).
Then the PTS's dispatch.pl script recognizes the X-Katie header and
then pattern-matches the subject to decide on a keyword.

I assume you mean debian-dak@l.d.o - yes, that looks relevant.
Cc:ing and setting M-F-T.

--
Henning Makholm                    "There is a danger that curious users may
                          occasionally unplug their fiber connector and look