Testing-watch emails

Scripsit Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:05:07AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

>> I have now a frst draft of a status-change mail system running.  it
>> works from the archive mirror on merkel, [...]

> Thanks for running with this.  Ideally, we would get this integrated on
> ftp-master, so that the mails could be triggered by britney rather than
> being done post-hoc; this would also let us associate package removals with
> comments from britney hints files, so that they could be incorporated into
> the mails.  If you're interested in making this happen

I am. Also, I have gotten a couple of complaints that people want the
mails to be more easily procmailable. If they had katie instead of me
as sender, they would have a better chance of matching people's
existing recipies for routine Debian notices.

It seems that integrating it *properly* would involve learning Python,
(which won't happen this week or next), but less might work, too.

> I'll be happy to give you any info I can; though tbh, if I
> understood this part of the system very well, I probably would have
> written a patch myself already. ;)

I think that doing post-hoc analysis (perhaps on Sources files,
perhaps on cached HeidiResult files) is still a more robust
architecture than trying to hook into britney's actual
decision-making. Britney itself doesn't remember the hint comments
anyway, we'll need to do some heuristic parsing of the hints files
separately to extract removal reasons.

Henning Makholm                            "Manden med det store pindsvin er
                              kommet vel ombord i den grønne dobbeltdækker."