Re: d-i: partitioned md devices? allowed but not supported?

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> If i then place a partition on the resulting device (md0) I can add
> partitions for /, /usr, swap, etc. The installer partition wizard will
> create /dev/md0pX devices.

These are not well supported by anything.  Lilo will croak. grub is grub is
grub, and will eat grub instead of working.  The kernel people sounded not
very commited to partitioned md devices last time I looked after it (because
I **HATE** more than one md device per disk, as the md driver is stupid
enough to not know about other md devices in the same disk and does stupid
things).

I suggest you go with lvm2 (or other device-manager based system) on top of
a simple md array.  It is much safer in the long run, even if it means
initrds (yuck).

> IMHO we should disable paritioning md devices or at least print out a
> warning, that mdadm needs to create the device files.

Agreed.

> BTW: does anybody know how to auto-start more than one (the first?) raid
> error by the kernel?

"error"?

I always auto-start at least three md devices, it works just like one
expects it to.  But don't expect *NESTED* md devices to autostart.  In fact,
don't nest md devices, it ain't safe, it is one of those places where the
bugs have never been really shaken out of the system.

  Henrique Holschuh