Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 17:16 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:07:08PM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > 2300 << 15000, by my reckoning.
> >
> > very true. but Nexenta OS is not just number of packages. it also brings
> > something totally new and exciting to the Debian world.
>
> I'm not discounting that it's new and exciting (I wouldn't say "totally",
> but that's a matter of opinion), and I'm in fact quite interested in what
> the technical benefits of running Debian on a Solaris kernel might be for my
> needs.

This is an interesting question. You could find more answers by reading
materials at www.opensolaris.org.

One could benefit from the fact that OpenSolaris development is more
organized and centralized which leads to more tight control on its
interfaces. In short, OpenSolaris interfaces are stable. That brings
binary compatability across future OpenSolaris-based distros.

Another obvious benefit is that OpenSolaris licensed under open sourced
license which allowes to HW vendors to write their own drivers for all
that variety of existing specific hardware and yet not to open their IP.
But at the same time, this license(which is CDDL),

Thecnical aspects benefits too. The kernel is *very* stable and highly
QA'd by Sun Microsystems. It brings bunch of advanced technologies and
complete(not just partial) implementations of many kernel interfaces.

>From user perspective, OpenSolaris core is well documented and
supported.

All that means: the end user of the system will not be forced to
re-compile drivers during installations, will not suffer from
half-implemented features, will not be forced to deal with source
packages and will benefit from both world - proprietery and open source.

Erast