Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:07:08PM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 14:24 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:21:45PM -0800, Alex Ross wrote:
> > > 2) 2,300 Debian packages available for immediate usage.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > There are probably very few projects that can come anywhere close to
> > > Nexenta OS,
> > > in terms of the size,
> >
> > 2300 << 15000, by my reckoning.
>
> very true. but Nexenta OS is not just number of packages. it also brings
> something totally new and exciting to the Debian world.

I'm not discounting that it's new and exciting (I wouldn't say "totally",
but that's a matter of opinion), and I'm in fact quite interested in what
the technical benefits of running Debian on a Solaris kernel might be for my
needs.  However, Alex did specifically claim that Nexenta was of unmatched
size, and I was refuting that particular claim.

> ...and number of packages growes as we speak. So, it is just a matter of
> time.

I'm actually quite surprised that you've only been able to build 2300
packages out of Debian, but I presume there's significant hurdles which I'd
have trouble imagining standing in your way there.

> Most hard and exciting part is to achive acceptable level of integration
> between OpenSolaris Core and the rest of Debian world. Nobody did it
> before. So, it is sort of not for newbies. :-)

Right.  You want competent, clueful, technical people to work on the
project.  I suspect that these are the same people who are going to be
turned off (as I was) by unashamed marketing speak.  In fact, your message
has gotten me far more interested in Nexenta than the original did, as I can
see the sort of things that need to be done and might be interested in
working on some of those.

- Matt