Re: changing default ping

Hi,

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

Of course.  So let's have one ping package that provides the feature
on systems where the headers say "yes, we have this feature."

Unfortunately, exactly that is not going to happen because the iputils upstream does not care about compatibility and cannot be bothered to add checks because the package is meant to run on Linux only.

The question is whether such a package is suitable as a *default* ping implementation on a distribution using different kernels such as Debian.

In my opinion, it is time to make a virtual package and specify which interfaces a ping command must support in order to provide this virtual package. As long as the iputils ping supports that interface (which will probably not be too fancy), it can remain the default on the Linux architectures and should be dropped on others.

   Simon