changing default ping (was Re: what to do with iputils (ping, etc)

kobras@debian.org wrote:
>How about naming the packages netkit-ping and iputils-ping,
>respectively? Oh, wait, we have that already...
>
>iputils-arping also has a more portable, alternative implementation
>(cf. package arping). That leaves us with tracepath that indeed appears
>to be Linux-only at the moment. But then we have a couple of traceroute
>packages that offer roughly similar functionality.
>
>So what's all the fuzz about?
Changing the default implementation.  ;-)

Making one of the portable versions the default ping for Debian seems like the
right thing to do.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,