Re: changing default ping

> Going too far on the "consistency" side of things makes working on
> alternative OSes pointless: if Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd do
> the exact same thing, why bother putting in the effort to have both?
> Would you say that "tar" shouldn't have special options on the Hurd for
> dealing with dereferencing translators, say, even if someone wrote
> such a feature? [0]

No, the point is that the Hurd developers should write that feature in
the standard tar so that it can be turned on and off with a normal
configure test, and not by having a totally separate version of tar
that copies Hurd system headers.

> That doesn't make sense to me. The default install should be what's most
> likely to be most useful for the most users. If having an option
> available will be useful on Linux, but not on the Hurd, it should be
> available on Linux, and not on the Hurd.

Of course.  So let's have one ping package that provides the feature
on systems where the headers say "yes, we have this feature."