Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 05:53:16AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Nah, the biggest hit isn't disk space, it's NSS lookup times from having to
> do a linear search through a flat-file /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.  Well,
> thank God no one uses pam_pwdb anymore, at least...

One can use nscd if he/she is really concerned for that. But I think the
cost of a hundred extra entries in /etc/{passwd,group} would stills be
lost in the noise compared to distributed NSS methods like NIS, NIS+ or
LDAP.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences