Re: changing default ping

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

>> > It's not.
>> What if they are *wrong* then?
> This is not supposed to happen.

Why do you think we have standard header files at all?  If we relied
on everyone keeping things in sync and "this is not supposed to
happen", we could just copy declarations out of manual pages into
source files and never need headers at all!

>> How does the ping package know which kernel I have installed?
> The kernel to user space API are supposed to be backware-compatible.
> If they are not, it's usually a bug.

Yeah, and why should we adopt programming practices that reduce bugs?!