Re: Effort to change IETF's copying conditions for RFCs

> * Simon Josefsson:
> >         The Contributor grants third parties the right to
> > 	copy and distribute the Contribution, with or without
> > 	modification, in any medium, without royalty.  If the
> > 	Contribution is modified, any claims of endorsement or
> > 	official status by the IETF or ISOC must be removed.

[Florian Weimer]
> Sure, but this might not be acceptable to ISOC, which might want to
> see a "Portions Copyright (C) 200x The Internet Society" in derived
> works.

I don't see a conflict there.  A copyright notice is not a claim of
endorsement or official status - it's particularly clear that this is
not the case if only "portions" are copyrighted by some standards body.

I think it's self-evident that people are not allowed to remove
copyright statements.  That's _always_ true unless you are specifically
authorised to do so. But perhaps this should be spelled out explicitly?