Re: bogus lintian warning

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> >> But lintian is not there to warn about unfixable problems with
> >
> > You cannot reliably determine wether the maintainer is doing something
> > stupid, or upstream is.
>
> In which case, it certainly can't be reported as an error.

But it can as a warning.  That's what they are for.

> But say more: what are the ambiguous cases?

dpkg-buildpackage in a cvs-checkout directory with strange things in the
parent dir, for example, because of test builds leaving weird shit on the
parent directory + lack of coffee + typing dpkg-buildpackage instead of
cvs-buildpackage.

It gets "I was too sleepy to think straight" type of errors.

And it also tells you when upstream screwed up their dist-clean target,
which is quite useful too.

  Henrique Holschuh