Re: architecture-specific release criteria - requalification needed

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:28:07PM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:22:27PM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> > That's not only "must have 50 users" but more a "must have 50 users that do
> > stuff on those machines".
> > See, that's the problem, when you don't define those rules exactly: what
> > qualifies for a "user" - how often needs the user on the machine, how much
> > time must he waste there, and so on and so on?
> Come on -- seriously, if a port has a problem demonstrating 50 users in a
> form that is acceptable to the release team, it has a problem anyhow. Heck,
> almost every port I can think of (perhaps except s390) should be able to
> easily gather 50 people on IRC from a machine running that architecture,
> announcing ???hey, I'm a user!??? :-) I do not seriously think this will be a
> blocked for any realistic architecture.

No, seriously, I don't know how to achieve this for m68k yet.
I think many m68k users out there are running there m68ks as it is, without
contact to any list related to debian. They might upgrade from time to time
their boxes, but how will you reach them, when you don't know how to contact
them? And not everyone will be hooked up to IRC anyway.
I once made a poll on debian-68k about the usage of the machines there. IIRC
there were around 30 votes, but I don't believe that everyone answered in
that poll who's using a m68k machine.
The problem still exists: how will you reach those users and get them to
give a live sign?
What about such ports like m32r? Some embedded devices might run that port,
but the user doesn't even know about which arch he's using nor that he's
using Debian and certainly not that he is intended to give a "hey, i'm using
that port" message to Debian...

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc