Re: architecture alias and disto rebuild

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:58:40AM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Bill Allombert [Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:39:36 +0200]:

> > So I propose a alternate solution:
>
> > If the distro foobar rebuild packages on i386, they could use
> > i386foobar as architecture name instead of i386, this way every
> > package they rebuild will be clearly marked as such.
>
> > Of course, if foobar want to allow regular Debian package to be installed,
> > they can just patch dpkg so that it accept both kind of package.
>
> > The morale of the story is: since we have now comprehensive plateform
> > handling with CPU-SYSTEM, why not go a little farther and add a BUILDER
> > field with the suitable logic in dpkg so that it allow to install
> > packages from any builder by default ?
>
>   This would be a gross hack, and I don't see why people who don't
>   bother to use a simple, clean and tested mechanism to mark rebuilds
>   (namely, dch -i) would go and use this other yet-to-be-implemented
>   one.

I agree with Adeodato that this "solution" is a gross hack, but I'd
rather start using something like dpkg-sig over the .deb files, so you
would be able to check from where does that specific .deb file come
from, be it Debian official or a deriviative, etc, w/o having to
modify the sources.

regards,
guillem