Re: Managing users and groups within multiple devel chroots.

Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> writes:

> Notice that the /etc/schroot/setup.d/30passwd was used to sync the
> passwd and related files by copying them into the chroot from the main
> system.  While it's a simple copy in this case, you can easily
> customise the script to sync the other way on session shutdown, and
> make this as complex as you like if you want to take care of the
> locking issues properly.
>
> The scripts allow one to customise and configure the chroot quite
> easily, so it can (for example) mount block devices on demand, and
> (later tonight, once I write it) create, mount and destroy LVM
> snapshots on the fly.

Hmm.  That seems like a nice tool, but in this case, I want to keep
the chroots around all the time with home bind mounted so that the
chroots are available to everyone, and I don't want there to be any
period of time after installing a package in one chroot (or on the
host) where the users/groups don't match everywhere.

In truth, if LDAP can be configured to work completely transparently
for *all* users/groups, so that, for example, adduser automatically
uses it when packages are installed, then that would be just fine, but
I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that an LDAP approach
wouldn't be that transparent.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning