Re: Debian OpenSolaris port, exchange with Sun folks in webforum/MailingList

Scripsit Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:06:12AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

>> Do we really think it's a good idea to approve of giving copyright
>> holders extra leverage for such lawsuits in their license, and just
>> hope that none of these copyrights ever wind up in the hands of a
>> hostile entity?

> Sure, but this has not to do if the software is free or not

It has. The DFSG specifies freedoms which must be present. A freedom
is not present, for the purposes of Debian, if it is only granted
to those who agree to be bound by onerous terms such as a
choice-of-venue claus.

> I agree that we should not accept such licence, but not because they are not
> free :)

It is only free for people who agree to be on the beck-and-call of the
author for all time ever after. That means, for the purposes of
Debian, that it is not free at all.

--
Henning Makholm                                              # good fish ...
                                                    # goodfish, goodfish ...